Thursday, June 23, 2005

How motivated are you to get to work?

Yesterday while I was doing my morning 2.2 miles (3.5 Km) walk to DHL I started asking myself this question, the reason behind it was that 5 min after I left my house it started pouring outside, like if there was a tropical storm on top of us.
Although hard rain was coming down on me, my umbrella was leaking, and the fact that everything below my elbow was completely wet thanks to a couple of crazy drivers that aimed for several holes full of water and ZAS! gave me my second shower of the day; I kept on walking towards my work.
At about 5 min from work I decided to stop in a Parking building close to DHL in order to wait for the worst part of the storm to pass, and it was suddenly there where I started to look at people and realize that either I am really motivated to get to work or they were not.
They were standing waiting for it to be calmer in order to cross the street, in a place where they had a special roof for that, and get to work. And there I am completely wet waiting with them for 20 min in order to finalize my daily walk to work.
Interesting things happen when you open your eyes to what's going on out there, but tell me how motivated are you to get to work? Would you walk 2.2 miles in the rain to go work?

Monday, June 20, 2005

First fathers's day


First fathers's day
Originally uploaded by rafuchoski.
Here in the US as well as in Mexico and Venezuela last sunday was Father's day, and although a very common holiday I have to say it felt strange to be the one receiving the congratulations this time.
Daniela is almost 2 months old (tomorrow she will be) and amazingly she already responds to us and everything we do, and just like if she knew it was a special day she gave me this smile kind of her way of saying "Happy father's day"

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Ken Blanchard Companies at 2005 ASTD conference

Last Tuesday June 7th, I had the opportunity of going to and Exposition on Training and Development at the 2005 ASTD International Conference & Exposition in Orlando with my manager, where we had the INCREDIBLE opportunity to meet the worldwide known Dr. Ken Blanchard and his son Scott Blanchard from the Ken Blanchard Companies.

He is a Worldwide known author of several books on management and personal development as well as the founder of his talent and organizational development consulting company that has been around for over 25 years.
It was a great experience, to be able to listen to some of their presentations, go over information and research regarding training and development, and get a tiny grasp of all the expertise they have gather with years of experience in this arena.

I have to say that's a part of my job that I LOVE.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Soraya Pou got married


Boy it seems like there's a whole movement towards marriage in AIESEC Alumni going on (or should I say my generation he, he, he)
For all of you guys that met Soraya Pou MC 01-02 and MCP 02-03 of AIESEC in Puerto Rico, I have new for you: Soraya got married this month, if you want to go to her online photo album just click on the picture and enjoy the pics.


CONGRATULATIONS SORAYA

Monday, June 13, 2005

Daniela's Update

For those of you asking What happened with his baby girl? here are some pics and stories from this month and a half of having her with us.

She is doing fine, sleeping about 6 hours every night (almost every parent I have met lately say that is wonderful, most of them say theirs didn't sleep more than 4 hours until they were 1 year old), eating a lot and she is really REALLY active and curious of everything that happens around her.

So far she has used over 370 diapers, 450 wipes, 3 cans of formula (and my wife is breastfeeding her, formula is only to complement if still hungry). She literally threw up on us, peed on us, pooped on us and burped at us more times than I can remember, but still we love her the way she is ha, ha, ha.

Everyday she gains more control of her hands, head and legs, so she has started kicking us if she is not comfortable, grabbing anything close to her watch, chains, anything she can grab), pushing us away with her arms, etc. etc.

I have the say the most interesting part of her development is the facial expressions she makes, it's incredible how expressive she can be, and my question to all of this is How did she learn how to weep, cry and make faces like that?. It's not like she learnt it from us, we are not crying or weeping around her, but I have to say kids learn pretty fast and this one will try to control us whenever she can, better start her up in acting classes early, and us on psychology.

Friday, June 10, 2005

2004 Atlantic Hurricane Season TrackMap

As I said before the hurricane season has started and with that we do have our first Tropical Storm "Arlene", thankfully this one will not hit Florida, but it is bringing with it a lot of moisture and rain towards Florida. The keys have been the most affected ones with Tornado warnings and possibilities of flooding.
In order for everyone to have an idea of the storms and track them I am putting the forecast of the current storm in my navigation bar, and trying to make it update with the latest data from the National Hurricane Center directly.
Just for historic knowledge here is a copy of last years Hurricane Season Map , I really do hope nothing serious happens this year:
2004 Atlantic Hurricane Season Track Map
2004 Atlantic Hurricane Season Track Map (click to enlarge)

DHL delivers 142,000 soccer balls

Postbank a national sponsor of the FIFA World Cup 2006 had the challenge of taking 142,000 soccer balls out of their packages, bring them into a stadium, repack and transport them to the warehouses in aprox. 45 trucks within 24 hours, and DHL took it.
Just to give you Soccer fans an idea, over 9,000 boxes of balls where delivered to the stadium by adidas, it was a major logistics challenge as the empty boxes alone would have formed a twelve-meter high wall around the Borussia Park playing field

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

DHL Krooners Bike

Ana Elisa wrote about their branded Smart and Hummer, and although we have none of those here in the US I wanted to share with you guys the pictures of our own Krooners branded bike.
A few months back we heard the story of Krooners, a US based company that manage to extend its operations overseas thanks to DHL International business expertise in order to celebrate their great results they made this specially DHL branded bike that was traveling trough some of our offices.
Cool ah?


DHL Krooners Bike - Left
Originally uploaded by rafuchoski.

DHL Krooners Bike - Right
Originally uploaded by rafuchoski.


DHL Krooners Bike - Detail
Originally uploaded by rafuchoski.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Hurricane Season is Finally here

National Weather Service released its Atlantic Hurricane Outlook Update and it says there's a 70% chance of an above-normal hurricane season, a 20% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season
The forecast for 12-15 tropical storms, with 7-9 becoming hurricanes, and 3-5 of these becoming major hurricanes. The likely range of ACE index is 120%-190% of the median. This prediction reflects a very likely continuation of above-normal activity that began in 1995.
The vast majority of the tropical storms and hurricanes in 2005 will form during August-October. Historically, similar seasons have averaged 2-3 landfalling hurricanes in the continental United States and 1-2 hurricanes in the region around the Caribbean Sea.

And the Season started with this hale storm we had 2 days ago, so we better get prepared for it and pray everything goes well.

Hale
Originally uploaded by rafuchoski.